The Frescos of Pillars
Frescoes located on the pillars of the Dufferin-Montmorency Highway built between 2000 and 2002 at the instigation of Hélène Fleury, Quebec artist who collaborated in the "Fresque des Québécois".
These are the only frescoes in Quebec city who do not represent the history of the city but rather imaginary scenes.
Among them, the fresco "The Cathedral" represents the inside and the outside of a cathedral on each side of the pillar, inspired by the Sainte Chapelle in Paris.
The fresco "Chivalrous tales" introduce us into the world of tales with princess, knight and magician, while "The Clock" illustrates the mechanisms and workings of this object.
Finally "Homage to Quebec circuses" introduces observers to the circus world and its actors, jugglers, clowns and acrobats.
Algonquian people had originally named the area Kébec, meaning "where the river narrows", because the Saint Lawrence River narrows proximate to the promontory of Quebec and its Cape Diamant.
Explorer Samuel de Champlain founded a French settlement here in 1608, and adopted the Algonguin language term. Quebec City is one of the oldest European cities in North America.
The ramparts surrounding Old Quebec are the only fortified city walls remaining in the Americas north of Mexico.
This area was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1985 as the "Historic District of Old Québec".
- Bony / Sipa
- Image Size
- 4000x2667 / 5.2MB
- Contained in galleries
- Quebec City