To preserve and honor the precious relics of Saint Charles Garnier, the sculptor Gérard Marchand has produced a magnificent wooden box.
On the front, Jesuits and young men gather in front of the relics of this Canadian martyr. The other faces show scenes of the missionary life of the Jesuit Charles Garnier with the Amerindians.
At the four corners of the box, angels seem to stand guard.
Algonquian people had originally named the area Kébec, meaning "where the river narrows", because the Saint Lawrence River narrows proximate to the promontory of Quebec and its Cape Diamant.
Explorer Samuel de Champlain founded a French settlement here in 1608, and adopted the Algonguin language term. Quebec City is one of the oldest European cities in North America.
The ramparts surrounding Old Quebec are the only fortified city walls remaining in the Americas north of Mexico.
This area was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1985 as the "Historic District of Old Québec".
- Bony / Sipa
- Image Size
- 4000x2667 / 2.5MB
- Contained in galleries
- Quebec City