Tadoussac is a village in Quebec, at the confluence of the Saguenay and Saint Lawrence rivers. The indigenous Innu called the place Totouskak meaning "bosom", probably in reference to the two round and sandy hills located on the west side of the village.
According to other interpretations, it could also mean "place of lobsters", or "place where the ice is broken".
Although located in Innu territory, the post was also frequented by the Mi'kmaq people in the second half of the 16th century, who called it Gtatosag ("among the rocks").
Tadoussac was first visited by Europeans in 1535 and was established in 1599 when the first trading post in Canada was formed there.
Jacques Cartier came to the site in 1535 during his second voyage.
He found Innu people using it as a base for hunting seal. Later that same century, Basques from Spain conducted whaling expeditions on the river.
Tadoussac was founded in 1599 by François Grave Du Pont, a merchant, and Pierre de Chauvin de Tonnetuit, a captain of the French Royal Navy, when they acquired a fur trade monopoly from King Henry IV.
Tadoussac remained the only seaport on the St. Lawrence River for 30 years. Historians believe the St. Lawrence Iroquoians, who inhabited the St. Lawrence valley upriver to the west, were defeated and pushed out by the Mohawk before the early 17th century.
By the late 17th and early 18th century, Tadoussac was the center of fur trade between the French and First Nations peoples.
In the 19th century, with industrialization reaching other parts of Canada, tourists discovered the appeal of this rural village.
A Victorian hotel was built in 1864; it later was lost to a fire. In the 1940s, it was replaced by the large Hotel Tadoussac.
- Bony / Sipa
- Image Size
- 4000x2667 / 3.5MB
- Contained in galleries