ROME, ITALY - JUNE 03: Illustration of Rome; Italy on June 03, 2012..Piazza della Repubblica and the Fountain of the Naiads..This square is located at the summit of the Viminal Hill, next to the Termini station. .The former name of the piazza, Piazza dell'Esedra, still common today, originates in the large exedra of the baths of Diocletian, which gives the piazza its shape. .The fountain in this square was originally the fountain of the Acqua Pia (connected to the aqua Marcia aqueduct), commissioned this site by Pope Pius IX in 1870. It originally showed four chalk lions replaced in 1901 with sculptures of Naiads..The naiads represented are the Nymph of the Lakes (recognisable by the swan she holds), the Nymph of the Rivers (stretched out on a monster of the rivers), the Nymph of the Oceans (riding a horse symbolising of the sea), and the Nymph of the Underground Waters (leaning over a mysterious dragon). In the centre is Rutelli's Glauco group, symbolizing the dominion of the man over natural force.